Family Promise of Grand Rapids – Staff Accountant
Family Promise of Grand Rapids strives to give parents the hope and encouragement they need to create a better future for their kids and end the cycle of homelessness. Through our prevention, emergency shelter, housing services, homeownership, family engagement/stabilization services, and Early Childhood services, we’ve helped over 2,500 families build a stronger future.
At Family Promise of Grand Rapids, we hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization and community stronger. Our culture is the result of our behaviors, our personal commitment, our curiosity, how we collaborate, and the ways that we courageously share our perspectives and encourage others to do the same. This culture brings us together, allows us to stand out, and empowers all of us to connect, belong, and grow.
Family Promise of Grand Rapids Core Values:
- Has Passion for Mission
- Prioritizes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Is Dedicated to Hospitality
- Collaborates Intentionally
- Is Hungry, Humble, and Smart
- Assumes Good Intent
- Strives for Excellence and Sustained Impact
The detail orientated, organized, problem solving Staff Accountant is responsible for working with staff and outside vendors in the day to day bookkeeping and financial reporting for the organization. . The staff accountant will knowledge of financial accounting, non-profit bookkeeping, and be a great problem solver.
This position assists the VP of Finance & Accounting Manager with day to day bookkeeping and financial reports, preparation of payroll, maintaining donor receipts and record, and assists with special events and special projects as needed
Our Ideal Candidate will:
Accounting related duties and responsibilities:
- Process and record weekly bank deposits.
- Record receivables from pledges and grant reimbursements.
- Ensure all invoices are approved, recorded and paid weekly. Ensure invoices are coded to the proper GL accounts in QuickBooks (or other accounting system).
- Record staff reimbursements and pay bi-weekly through payroll.
- Process corporate credit card expenses and pay off credit cards weekly.
- Process staff check requests timely.
- Reconcile bank and credit card statements monthly.
- Reconcile petty cash quarterly.
- Maintain proper documentation for vendors (W-9, COI, etc.) and properly mark vendor for 1099 status, if applicable, and manage worker’s compensation audit requests.
Payroll related duties and responsibilities:
- Preparation of bi-weekly payroll.
- Ensure timesheets are accurate and approved by proper manager.
- Responsible for new employee set up and termination in QuickBooks (or other accounting system) Payroll.
- Process any pay or deduction changes in QuickBooks Payroll.
- Reconcile medical and dental deductions to Ease.
Gift Processing related duties and responsibilities:
- Enter all charitable contributions into the donor database.
- Process all gift acknowledgement letters in a timely manner.
- Enter in-kind donations in donor database and send acknowledgement letters as necessary.
- Additional duties as needed to support agency.
- Work is performed on site at our Grand Rapids main office.
- Lifting of materials of up to 20 pounds may be necessary.
- Telephone contact with both vendors and donors required
- May infrequently require working outside normal working hours and events.
Education and Experience Required:
- Associates degree required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 1-3 years of relevant accounting experience
- Proficient in QuickBooks (or other similar accounting systems)
- Experience with Bloomerang preferred
- Knowledge of payroll preparation and applicable regulations.
- Strong computer skills including familiarity with word-processing, spreadsheets and database applications
- Professional level of written and verbal communication skills and organizational skills
- Outstanding organizational, analytical, prioritization, judgment, and problem-solving skills within a fast-paced environment
- Energetic, self-motivated, organized individual who is accustomed to, or seeking to, entrepreneurial environment.
- Comfortable working in a faith-based environment.
- Must be able to execute work in alignment of the with core values of the organization.
- Capacity to prioritize workload, meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously while paying close attention to detail
- Ability to work well with others and be a team player
- Ability to follow written and verbal direction
- Ability to interact positively and professionally with clients, co-workers, administrators and members of the public from widely divergent cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work with confidential information and maintain the privacy of the material
Full Time, non-exempt position. Approximately 40 hours per week. Reports to the Accounting Manager.
Family Promise of Grand Rapids offers a full array of employee benefits including health and dental insurance, short term and long-term disability, life insurance and a 401k plan. Family Promise of Grand Rapids also offers paid time off and paid holidays.
Family Promise of Grand Rapids is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Family Promise of Grand Rapids is committed to recruiting, employing, compensating, and promoting on the basis of qualifications and experience, and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment background verification checks.
Go to http://www.familypromisegr.org/home to learn more about us. Resumes can be submitted via the job posting link or by visiting our website. Questions can be directed to Lisa Valk at Family Promise of Grand Rapids email@example.com or 616-608-8918.